The Senior Pastor will be responsible for leading the church. This position can be a bi-vocational position as it is 20-30 hours per week. S/He will lead the congregation, teams and committees, and the church staff in performing their tasks.
Concern for the spiritual, emotional and physical well-being of individual church members. S/He shall preach on Sundays and administer the ordinances of the Lord's Supper and Baptism, or ensure that such tasks are fulfilled should his or her absence be necessary. The Senior Pastor will perform various other duties pertaining to the office of pastor as necessary.
The Senior Pastor shall be required to follow the Constitution and Bylaws of Tomahawk Baptist Church. The Senior Pastor will also ensure Tomahawk functions as an affiliated church with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, the Baptist General Association of Virginia and the Middle District Baptist Association, as well as uphold the Baptist principles such as autonomy of the local church, the priesthood of believers and soul freedom. Clarification of Duties:
- Part-time, 20-30 hours per week. Required to work on-site or virtually each Sunday, as decided in conjunction with Staff, the Deacon Body, Administrative Council, Ministry Council and Logistics Team during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Preach on Sunday, administer the sacraments and participate in weekly church fellowship.
- Perform weddings and funerals as needed.
- Counsel church and staff members as needed.
- Represent the church to the local community as well as ensuring the church is represented with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, the Baptist General Association of Virginia and the Middle District Baptist Association.
- A thorough understanding of the Bible, with the ability to interpret, clarify, explain and apply scripture.
- Seminary educated and trained, having earned a Master of Divinity or similar degree from an accredited seminary or its equivalent.
- Ordained as a Baptist preferably through one of the national affiliations with which the church is associated.
- Strong interpersonal skills, being able to communicate with clarity and compassion
- Be patient and encouraging with church members, visitors and those exploring their spiritual beliefs.
- Be reliable, trustworthy and spiritually mature.
- Proficient with computers, demonstrating the ability to work with various forms of social media and technology.
- Previous ministerial experience
- Lead Worship for the Church
- Provide preparation for and leadership of worship services
- Weekly preparation for sermons
- Selection of worship material
- Officiate weddings, funerals and other special services
- Administer the ordinances of the Lord's Supper and Baptism, or ensure that such tasks are fulfilled should his or her absence be necessary
- Ensure that pulpit supply is provided when the pastor is not available on Sundays, and communicate with the Deacons, and church staff regarding all arrangements
- Work with the Deacon Body to support the spiritual, emotional and physical well-being of individual church members
- Provide pastoral counseling to church members
- Respond pastorally and appropriately to persons experiencing a crisis and in need
- Oversee hospital and in-home visitation (critical care visitation or first response visitation) which may include visitation training to other staff members and to church members
- Guide all church staff in conjunction with the Executive Leadership Team
- Work with Executive Leadership Team on hiring decisions for other church staff positions
- Seek ways of engaging members to be active in all aspects of church life
- Report to the church at regular and special call business meetings, as well as participate in meetings of the Deacon Body and Executive Leadership Team
- Perform other duties pertaining to the office of pastor as necessary
- Provide vision and leadership for the church’s overall mission
- Be available as a resource for church leadership teams, groups and ministries in fulfilling the mission of the church
- Ensure that Tomahawk functions as an affiliated church with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, the Baptist General Association of Virginia and the Middle District Association, as well as upholds the Baptist principles such as autonomy of the local church, the priesthood of believers and soul freedom
Clarification of Duties
- Part-time, 25-30 hours per week, salary and benefits negotiable based on experience
- Required to follow the Constitution and Bylaws of Tomahawk Baptist Church
- Annual performance reviews will be conducted by the Executive Leadership Team with support from the Deacons
- Should represent the church to the local community
- The church will support the Senior Pastor’s attendance of local, state, and/or national conferences for educational purposes and networking with other churches
- Salary, annual bonus, vacation, health insurance, sick leave, sabbatical, and other personnel issues are to be outlined in the churches Personnel Policy Manual
To apply, please send a cover letter and CV to: email@example.com