The Interim Pastor will be responsible for leading the church until a Senior Pastor is identified and hired. The Interim Pastor may not be considered as a candidate for the Lead Pastor role. S/He will focus on part-time transitional ministry. The position is temporary, estimated to be 6 to 12 months in duration. S/He will lead the congregation, teams and committees, and the church staff in performing their tasks.
Concern for the spiritual, emotional and physical well-being of individual church members will be the provenance of the Interim Pastor. S/He shall preach on Sundays and administer the ordinances of the Lord's Supper and Baptism, or ensure that such tasks are fulfilled should his or her absence be necessary. The Interim Pastor will perform various other duties pertaining to the office of pastor as necessary.
The Interim Pastor shall be required to follow the Constitution and Bylaws of Tomahawk Baptist Church. The Interim Pastor will also ensure Tomahawk functions as an affiliated church with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, the Baptist General Association of Virginia and the Middle District Baptist Association, as well as uphold the Baptist principles such as autonomy of the local church, the priesthood of believers and soul freedom.
Clarification of Duties:
- Part-time, 20-30 hours per week. Required to work on-site or virtually each Sunday, as decided in conjunction with Staff, the Deacon Body, Administrative Council, Ministry Council and Logistics Team during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Preach on Sunday, administer the sacraments and participate in weekly church fellowship.
- Assist the church in its search and preparations for a new Senior Pastor.
- Perform weddings and funerals as needed.
- Counsel church and staff members as needed.
- Represent the church to the local community as well as ensuring the church is represented with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, the Baptist General Association of Virginia and the Middle District Baptist Association.
- Seminary educated and trained, having earned at least a Master of Divinity degree or its equivalent. Thorough understanding of the Bible. Ability to interpret, clarify, explain and apply scripture.
- Ordained as a Baptist preferably through one of the national affiliations with which the church is associated. Other affiliations may be considered provided the Interim Pastor has had a course in Baptist polity and covenants to pastor the Church within a Baptist framework of polity and theology.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to communicate with clarity and compassion. Patient and encouraging with church members, visitors and those exploring their spiritual beliefs.
- Reliable, trustworthy and spiritually mature. Proven ability to maintain confidentiality.
- 5 years’ experience preaching the gospel. Ability to generate and deliver engaging sermons each Sunday. Previous experience administering the ordinances of the Lord’s Supper, Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals and Last Rights.
- 5 years’ experience counseling church and staff members and acting as ex-officio member of church committees or boards.
- Prior experience serving in a lead role within an established church, or experience as an Interim Pastor.
- Familiar with the greater Richmond, Virginia area religious community.
- Previous experience guiding and leading the spiritual development of church members (e.g. leading bible study).
- Previous experience leading an outreach ministry. Demonstrated ability to grow spiritual communities.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computers and the ability to work with various forms of social media and audio visual technology to deliver a high quality virtual worship experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org