Tomahawk Baptist Church was founded in 1776. In its long history, Tomahawk has had 33 pastors. Since the 1980's, the church has also had several associate pastors, both women and men. Each person who has served in a pastoral capacity has brought to the church his/her own unique God-given gifts, talents, and energy.
Tomahawk has long-term ties to the Middle District Baptist Association and the Baptist General Association of Virginia. For many decades, Tomahawk was also a strongly supportive part of the Southern Baptist Convention. However, in the early 1990's, with birth of the moderate-minded Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, Tomahawk left the SBC, wholeheartedly endorsing the CBF as its primary national/global mission connection.
Tomahawk through the years:
Founded in 1776, Tomahawk's first meeting house was erected in the 1790's at the junction of Tomahawk Creek and Little Tomahawk Creek (just off what is currently Watermill Parkway in Brandermill in Chesterfield County, Virginia).
In the mid-1800's, the church moved to what today is the corner of Old Hundred and Genito roads. At the time of the move, a new (second) building was built on this site. The change in locations was made in order that the church might be closer to the center of what was then the Tomahawk community.
As the second meeting house became obsolete, a third building was erected on the Old Hundred/Genito site in 1892.
In 1918-1919, the church again changed locations, moving to be closer to the center of its community as the area grew in population and changed. This move was to what is now the current church building location at the intersection of 288 and 360 (Hull Street Road). The 1892 building was disassembled and moved from the Old Hundred/Genito site and rebuilt on the Hull Street Road property. Additional buildings have been built and remodeled over the years.
In 1966, an educational building was built, and in 1980-1981, the current sanctuary and fellowship hall were erected. In 2000, the 1892 sanctuary was torn down and rebuilt as the current chapel, the educational building was remodeled, and additional educational space plus an office suite was built.